Saturday, April 6, 2013

"Stranded" 6x8 Pastel


"Stranded" 6x8 Pastel
Currently on display at the Newburyport Art Association

I don't paint many boats, but this was one I have had my eye on for a while. I love the perspective of the boat which I felt would actually make the subject more challenging, but also making it all the more special if I could pull it off. 

The shape of a boat is extremely important...if you don't capture the shape, you'll end up with what looks like a bath tub or something else. I spent a lot of time with the shape of this one...specifically because the angle made it a bit more challenging.

I tend to paint very, very dark, especially in my shadows. Robin has been teaching me to try to use a much tighter value scale and that is what I was focusing on here. 

My favorite part is the sand...I love the texture and the colors...and after this winter I think we all could use a little sand!

-Jeff



2 comments: