Sunday, November 27, 2011

"Fall Sunset" 9x12 Pastel



Here's another pastel I've completed called "Fall Sunset." This is a photo I shot that I just couldn't wait to paint. Before I even snapped the shutter, I knew I had to paint it. Sad to say, I'm not sure I did it justice. I'm happy with it, but I'm not sure I captured the drama and the cool fall evening I remember so vividly when I was there. I guess the cloud struggle continues...these seemed so much easier than your typical nimbus clouds. I couldn't have been more wrong. I analyzed the image and realized how simple the cloud subject should have been...executing it was a completely different story. HUMBLED AGAIN! Regardless, I do like the sky....it was just more difficult than I thought it would be. I continue to punish myself by judging an image on whether I feel the subject matter will be difficult or easy, rather than just looking at is as simple shapes, colors and values.

The more I look at the picture of the painting...the more I see things I'd like to fix. The good news is I really concentrated on my values. I do feel they work and I captured them dead on.

I really enjoy the trees. They really capture the feeling of Autumn.

Overall, I'm satisfied. Hope you are too.

2 comments:

  1. i think you did a great job on the clouds. Glad to see you painting away!!

    -robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you approve, I'm good! Thanks Robin!

    ReplyDelete