Sunday, January 26, 2014

"Purple Haze" 6x8 Pastel

Here's a recent pastel painted from another winter woods exploration to the Goldthwaite Trail in Danville, NH.

I painted this small pastel using only my Terry Ludwig "Most Requested Violets" set. My new favorite set. Ok, so I had to brighten up the snow a bit and add a touch of color to the trees so I used 440 and 210 from my Plein Air Landscape set.

I wanted to stay quick with my strokes and try to create a solid feel of impressionism with this piece. I started with a very dark underpainting and began laying the colors on very lightly. I wanted to create a nice texture to the snow while preserving an icy feeling to the landscape.

My favorite part....the trees! I love the touch of blue violet on the bark! This was so much fun, can't wait to use them again!

"Purple Haze"
Clyde Goldthwaite Trail, Danville, NH
6x8 Pastel on Wallis Paper


No comments:

Post a Comment