Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"DARKNESS FALLS" 6X8 PASTEL



Here's a pastel I've been working on which was quite challenging. This is from a photo I shot at Plum Island last summer. It was around 8:30pm and there is not a lot of color in the photo. NOT MUCH AT ALL! So I figured I'd bump up the colors a bit and give it a little life and I think I over bumped them. I was so intrigued by the photo because of the tone, the feeling. It's dark, gloomy, but it was an absolutely beautiful evening.

I've been very intimated by this photo for a while. I was going to do this in a 16x20, then 9x12, so I decided to go small. I like the painting...not my best, but I think I captured the time of day and think I nailed the values. I can live with that.

I've only been painting for a couple of years and already I'm sick of naming paintings "sunset," that's why I called it what I did. However it almost sounds like a horror sequel, but it work and reflects my mood. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment