Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"Beauty Before the Beast" 12x16 Oil


This was a very challenging oil painting...I honestly can't believe it came out the way it did. I'm very proud of it. It's been about a year since I started and it's come a long way. This was very intimidating and a huge undertaking for me. Clouds...I feel like I have overcome my fear of painting clouds in both mediums. I still need LOTS of practice with them, but for oil painting, this is a HUGE accomplishment!

This was a painting I did of a photograph I shot right before I stopped to paint "Before the Storm" in Newburyport the night before Hurricane Irene. You can see the photo of "Beauty Before the Beast" here. These links will also give you a little more history on this painting and what the night was like.

I feel I really captured the time of day. The depth with the road wrapping around the trees, the reflection in the water, the beautiful color in the sky and the form on the clouds....that is probably what I'm proud of most...The large cloud really makes you feel like you're looking up at it and the bottom cloud...I love it! Especially the little heart on the right...I hope YOU love it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment